Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Easy Play Dough

Awesome Play Dough


2   cups   Flour
1   cup    Salt
4   tsp     Cream Of Tarter
2   cups   Water
2   tbsp    Vegetable oil*

*original recipe* I used shortening because that is what I had on hand.


In a Medium sauce pan combine all ingredients. *** Since I used shortening, I measured that out first and put it into the pan until melted THEN I added in the rest of the ingredients.*** On medium-low heat, Stir constantly until a soft dough forms. You will need something strong to stir it with. Keep stirring until the dough starts to pull away from the sides of the pan. It took about 5-10 minutes for this to happen.

Remove from heat and separate into 4 equal sized balls. Knead gently until smooth (roughly 4 minutes per ball, depending on how hard you knead and if you have 'little' hands helping).

Make a large thumb print into the center of each ball. Add several drops of desired color. I used regular liquid food coloring. SLOWLY, knead the colors in. If you do this too fast the dye could splash out and get onto surfaces/clothing. I had no issues with staining and I had my 3 year old next to me 'helping' me & poking everything. 

Keep kneading to combine color. Add more to get the desired depth of color. Store in an air tight container.
I used an old plastic container and separated with wax paper. I actually halved the play dough and saved the other half in this container shown... to make it last a little longer.



She was SUPER excited to play with her new play dough.

This was a great project for us to make together. We measured out the ingredients, then when it came time for the actually cooking I let her keep playing with the flour next to me on the counter. She picked which color we did and helped mix the colors into each dough ball. . It was a great leaning/bonding experience. Yes, it might be messy.... let it go. They are only young once, enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment